Saturday, December 11, 2010

Shanghai, My Love

Shanghai was by far my favorite city in China!
The feeling of the place was so lively and the people were extraordinarily friendly. There were all different feeling pockets in each neighborhood, each with a different influence.
The food was my favorite in all of china. 3 Photos here of my first dumplings and my favorite meals:





The people and the scenery were amazing, too, and I saw my first crazy chicken killing cart EWWW!


I had many pantomime/crazy--flailing-white-lady moments that were true crack ups! Navigating the huge chinese shopping centers while buying clothing for model-size women and trying to explain to the clerks "Yeah, I KNOW that won't fit me" was overwhelmingly HILARIOUS.

4 Videos (don't miss the wig video.... the nice old Chinese lady made me do it!) here:
http://rebeccad.smugmug.com/Other/ShanghaiVideo-1/14827916_kVUVn
xxo.

2 comments:

  1. So great to get a look at Shanghai - and timely, too. I've just been reading Kazuo Ishiguro's *When We Were Orphans,* set in Shanghai of the 1920's. Not quite the same thing, I realize, but makes me feel sort of in the same place with you. I loved the wig video! Flashbacks to your teenage experiment with peroxide. Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The restaurants were:
    - Jesse's
    - Nanxiang Steamed Bun Restaurant Dumpling place in Old Town Area
    - Jade Garden

    ReplyDelete