Friday, January 28, 2011

Mendoza, Argentina

Mendoza, Argentina
Off to the mountains!  Finally, I got on a 10pm flight out of Buenos Aires and I am excited to explore another part of Argentina. The hotel is massive, and they are excited to have us. I am speaking espanol like a toddler but proud to have that much. People are patient with me, too, and let me try. The lounge here has a lovely view of the Andes, and the models were sweet and professional, so we had a great shoot. We are tired but very happy with the photos.
We had a fantastic dinner experience at Francis Malman 1884, we sat on the grass of a courtyard that looks like Zoro’s house, with candle light and warm lanterns everywhere. It was luxurious.


It was here in Mendoza, that I have the best steak of my life, at a traditional family-style place called “Patio Jesus y Maria”, it was perfectly cooked and now I feel I can end my quest for that Argentine experience you hear so much about.  I was so involved that I forgot to take a photo of it, sorry. I'm learning that the mornings after I eat steak, I wake up feeling great with lots of energy!
On my day off, I wondered around Mendoza. It is such a nice city to walk through, lots of different architecture and it feels managable on foot. The weather was perfect! I was bummed to find that all the shops were closed ....SAD! So I took a tour to the mountain wine region and had a blast.
The drive up into the mountains was one of my favorite parts of my day off. There was an incredible valley we found on the way.
Video here:

http://rebeccad.smugmug.com/Other/MendozaVALLEYVIDEO/15615251_YHdFp



 The drive took me to Andeluna Vineyard (Thanks, McOsk, for the suggestion!).
The terrain was so beautiful and the vineyard itself was gorgeous, too. I toured the facility, learned about Malbec, the local specialty wine, and I met some nice people there.



I like the people and food in Argentina very much. I feel so lucky I have had a day off here.

3 comments:

  1. That sounds fantastic!

    Re: steak, I get the same thing. (Protein + iron + b-vitamins?) Leftovers also make an amazing breakfast, if you reheat them gently. One of the best breakfasts I ever had (for yumminess and energy) was a little chunk of leftover balsamic-glazed ribeye, spinach, asparagus, and a couple of bites of potato.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Me, too. See why I insisted you have one serving a week while you were still growing? A little goes a long way.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wait a minute, wait a minute, did you say... Zorro?!!

    ReplyDelete