Monday, January 31, 2011

Milan, Italy

Milan, Italy
Oh, Italia!!!!! How do I love thee, let me count the ways!

I was so excited to wake up and leave for Milan. Milan was one of the first places I had ever been in past trip to Italy, and has a warm place in my heart, so I was excited to return. I was a little scared to practice my Italian language skills, but the flight attendants speaking Italiano were enough to get me primed.  It has been four years since my last visit, so I am rusty but ready to jump in. I'm looking less like a leper now that the eyes are calming down, so it's perfect timing.
We arrived at the hotel and discovered that our hotel wasn’t close to the airport, it was IN THE AIRPORT. DundunDUNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNN.
Is this a cruel joke somebody is playing on me?
They are going to send me to Italy and then make me stay in an airport ......after three and a half months of living in them!?
It is funny now, but man, I was pissed. Call me a diva for saying so, but really .... isn't anybody's favorite part about Italy walking around aimlessly finding treasures? So to find out this was not a possibility for me was very disappointing. Good news, though..... once we found the hotel, we discovered that it was a new and impressive 60s-style modern pod architecture building with a lovely view of the Alps..... well, beyond the parking lot, anyway. My room was really nice, and it was large so I was comfortable. 


The crew and I created a pact to take the train into Milano every night for dinner, to copensate for our crappy location and get something out of being in Italy. FOOOOOOOOOOOOOOD!!!!
Our first night at Tratoria Milanese was the best. Classic, rustic Italian food in all the best ways.





We had a day off in Milan, too, so the girls and I decided to go find some culture and some shopping.
We went to the Castello, the Duomo and one the most beautiful parks in Italy.




Milano Castello Videos here:
castle moat:


I stumbled upon a great art exhibit, which happened to be one of my favorite photographers and one of my favorite subjects. I was totally in heaven.


Working in the Milan hotel was easy as everybody was excited to have us, and they went out of their way to help us. I had flowers ordered for the shoot from Armani Fiori, and it was actually the real Italian Armani........ pretty cool.

But still.... we needed more food.
Have you ever had a three course spagetti tasting (limona, carbonara, tonno) ? Because I have!


Great coincidence, my cousin Steve and his girlfriend, Ana just happened to be in Milan the same time we were! I met them with a bunch of their very sweet friends at a famous Neopolitan-style pizzeria for dinner. We had a great time chatting away and catching up. Steve and Ana are doing GREAT traveling around Europe, and they really cracked me up with stories of their nanny adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment